It took a while but by now, I learned to love the cabbage the has been a part of our regular veggie box.
Yes, I needed some time and inspiration what to do with it, and to start liking that veg. But after a few weeks now, I particularly like the variety of salads out there, especially the Asia style. It works well with the heat we have outside.
But salad isn’t the only thing that works well and sometimes it’s nice with a hot dish. So, this lovely Cabbage Curry with Ginger that I came across on the page eatsmarter.de caught my eye and did not disappoint.
Tasty, quick to do and we tend to have all ingredients in our cupboards already.
Cabbage Curry with Ginger
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic gloves
- 10gr Ginger (I add more as I love the extra ginger kick)
- 1/2 red chile (or child flakes if fresh isn’t available)
- 250gr potatoes
- 375gr white cabbage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste (or more if you like it spicy)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (around 220ml)
- 125 ml vegetable broth
- salt & pepper
- dash of sugar
- a bit of parsley and peanuts (optional, I used Cashew nuts as I didn’t have any other)
- Onion, garlic and ginger – peel and chop small.
- Wash and clean Chili and cut into rings.
- Peel potatoes and cut into smaller cubes.
- Cut the cabbage into quarters, cut the stem and slice into strips. Wash and dry.
- Heat oil in a large pot or wok. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and chill and sauté. Then add the curry paste and heat it all under stirring.
- Add the potatoes and cabbage, stir and sauté.
- Add the can of tomatoes and the vegetable broth, flavour with salt and pepper and a dash of sugar to your liking. Heat to a boil then let it simmer with a lid for around 20min.
- Chop the parsley and peanuts and add as decoration just before serving.
And in case you do have a good cabbage recipe at hand yourself, please share. I’m still looking for other options on how to best use that veg!
Stay well, have fun cooking and I hope you find your ease, wherever you are, during these times!